Essential Oil Quality, How Can You Tell? – Part I
There are countless places where essential oils are sold and purchased. You can buy essential oils online, at health food stores, aroma therapy stores, and even through mail order. Many products claim in one form or another to be the best, purest, most natural, or most organic. Unfortunately we find this information to be misleading and often altogether false. So, what are the tips and tricks to identifying the purest essential oils?
- Avoid essential oils that are sold in clear glass bottles. Yes, it’s nice to see the clarity of the oil, but the light that can penetrate the clear bottles damages the potency of the essential oil. Be sure to buy essential oils that are stored and sold in amber, or brown bottles. This protects the essential oils and leaves you with a greater quality oil.
- Do not buy essential oils that are sold in plastic bottles or that have a dropper attached to the lid. Organic and pure essential oils will erode and dissolve the plastic of those bottles, in effect, contaminating the purity of the oils within.
- Watch out for keyword signs that you are not purchasing Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils, like fragrance oil or perfume oil. They may smell nice, but they have fillers and chemicals that do not promote the health that you would receive from pure essential oils.
- Most of us like to watch how we spend our money. This might impede your quest in finding the purest essential oils. Many vendors may sell cheap essential oils, but it doesn’t mean they are of the quality that you are looking for. In the end you may find yourself spending more money on the cheaper quality oils just to get the effects that you would receive from pure grade oils.
- It can be costly and time consuming for vendors and distributors to hand out free samples. Some vendors get an overwhelming number of sample requests. A small fee may be required here, but this should not reflect poorly on the vendor or distributor.
In short, if you are serious about getting the best quality essential oils with the most effective results, do some research and avoid throwing money at the wrong product.